Icon View Thread

The following is the text of the current message along with any replies.
Messages 1 to 9 of 9 total
Thread Setting ModalResult does not close the dialog.
Thu, Jun 11 2015 6:23 PMPermanent Link

Doug B

Ok, this is rudimentary, but I'm finally getting back to things and in EWB 1 I could do the following to close the dialog when clicking on the 'Cancel' button, which would in turn call the form's OnClose() event:

procedure TfrmLogin.btnCancelClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
 ModalResult := mrCancel;
end;

However, that doesn't seem to work in EWB 2.  If I add a call to the 'Close' method right after setting the ModalResult above, I get the following error:

Unable to get property 'tobjectlist_fcount' of undefined or null reference

Line: 2397

(using EWB 2 build 12)

Thanks,
Doug
Thu, Jun 11 2015 6:44 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 6/11/2015 6:23 PM, Doug B wrote:
> Ok, this is rudimentary, but I'm finally getting back to things and in EWB 1 I could do the following to close the dialog when clicking on the 'Cancel' button, which would in turn call the form's OnClose() event:
>
> procedure TfrmLogin.btnCancelClick(Sender: TObject);
> begin
>    ModalResult := mrCancel;
> end;
>
> However, that doesn't seem to work in EWB 2.  If I add a call to the 'Close' method right after setting the ModalResult above, I get the following error:

It seems to be affected by the Visible property being true so
temporarily you can one of the following :

- set the Visible to false in design time

or

- set to to false before showing form

myForm.Visible := false;
myForm.ShowModal;


and then the ModalResult does work (i.e. ModalResult := mrCancel or any
other)


Need Tim to take a look as to why exactly

Raul
Fri, Jun 12 2015 12:15 PMPermanent Link

Doug B

Assigning MyForm.Visible := False does work to close the form, however I still get the same error message when I free the form:

procedure TTestForm.OnLoginFormClosed(Sender: TObject);
begin
 LoginForm.Free; <-------------------- Error Message Here
end;

procedure TTestForm.ShowLoginForm;
begin
 LoginForm := TLoginForm.Create(nil);
 LoginForm.OnClose := OnLoginFormClosed;
 LoginForm.Visible := False; // bug fix - needed so assigning a value to ModalResult will close the form
 LoginForm.ShowModal;
end;


Doug


Raul wrote:

On 6/11/2015 6:23 PM, Doug B wrote:
> Ok, this is rudimentary, but I'm finally getting back to things and in EWB 1 I could do the following to close the dialog when clicking on the 'Cancel' button, which would in turn call the form's OnClose() event:
>
> procedure TfrmLogin.btnCancelClick(Sender: TObject);
> begin
>    ModalResult := mrCancel;
> end;
>
> However, that doesn't seem to work in EWB 2.  If I add a call to the 'Close' method right after setting the ModalResult above, I get the following error:

It seems to be affected by the Visible property being true so
temporarily you can one of the following :

- set the Visible to false in design time

or

- set to to false before showing form

myForm.Visible := false;
myForm.ShowModal;


and then the ModalResult does work (i.e. ModalResult := mrCancel or any
other)


Need Tim to take a look as to why exactly

Raul
Fri, Jun 12 2015 12:45 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 6/12/2015 12:15 PM, Doug B wrote:
> Assigning MyForm.Visible := False does work to close the form, however I still get the same error message when I free the form:
>
> procedure TTestForm.OnLoginFormClosed(Sender: TObject);
> begin
>    LoginForm.Free; <-------------------- Error Message Here
> end;

Not seeing it here so you there must be some other code involved also.


here is my code :

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
   if not assigned(Form3) then
      Form3 := TForm3.Create(self);
   Form3.onclose := CloseHandler;
   Form3.Visible := false;
   Form3.ShowModal;
end;

procedure TForm1.CloseHandler(Sender: TObject);
begin
   if assigned(Form3) then Form3.free;
   form3 := nil;
end;


and the popup form3 just does this when button on it is pressed:

 ModalResult := mrCancel;


Raul
Fri, Jun 12 2015 2:57 PMPermanent Link

Doug B

Still no luck.

Sample attached.

Doug

Raul wrote:

here is my code :

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
   if not assigned(Form3) then
      Form3 := TForm3.Create(self);
   Form3.onclose := CloseHandler;
   Form3.Visible := false;
   Form3.ShowModal;
end;

procedure TForm1.CloseHandler(Sender: TObject);
begin
   if assigned(Form3) then Form3.free;
   form3 := nil;
end;


and the popup form3 just does this when button on it is pressed:

 ModalResult := mrCancel;


Raul



Attachments: FormCloseBug.zip
Fri, Jun 12 2015 4:12 PMPermanent Link

Tim Young [Elevate Software]

Elevate Software, Inc.

Avatar

Email timyoung@elevatesoft.com

Doug,

<< However, that doesn't seem to work in EWB 2.  If I add a call to the
'Close' method right after setting the ModalResult above, I get the
following error: >>

It's a bug in the component notification tear-down, and is caused by the
FocusControl property setting for the login edit label.  It's now fixed.

Tim Young
Elevate Software
www.elevatesoft.com
Fri, Jun 12 2015 4:15 PMPermanent Link

Tim Young [Elevate Software]

Elevate Software, Inc.

Avatar

Email timyoung@elevatesoft.com

Raul,

<< Need Tim to take a look as to why exactly >>

It was just the way it was coded.  I've relaxed the rules now, and it only
looks at whether the form is already modal or not, and if the form is
already visible, it just brings it to the front.

Tim Young
Elevate Software
www.elevatesoft.com



Fri, Jun 12 2015 5:31 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 6/12/2015 2:57 PM, Doug B wrote:
> Still no luck.
>
> Sample attached.

I can duplicate it with your sample - i get the exception.

First i thought that maybe the issue is that your main form is TDialog
based while mine was TForm based. That is not it - i did a new test
project with TDialog for main form and runs without any errors.

So what it is that your Tlabel for username has tedit (edtUserName) as
"FocusControl" - if you clear this property then error goes away.

Tim has to look into this but my suspicion is that its something to do
with order they get freed and reference becoming invalid.


Raul
Mon, Jun 15 2015 1:38 PMPermanent Link

Doug B

Thanks Tim.  And thanks for the workaround, Raul.

Doug
Image