Icon View Thread

The following is the text of the current message along with any replies.
Messages 1 to 7 of 7 total
Thread Edit box background hint and type
Wed, Jan 15 2020 9:14 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

Have a little project for EWB, and I forget how to set the "background hint" for an edit box to show what it is for.
And how can I set it to "email" type input so that iPhones etc use the email keyboard for ease of use?

The code I have for this seems to be from v1!

--

Matthew Jones
Wed, Jan 15 2020 1:17 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 1/15/2020 9:14 AM, Matthew Jones wrote:
> Have a little project for EWB, and I forget how to set the "background hint" for an edit box to show what it is for.
> And how can I set it to "email" type input so that iPhones etc use the email keyboard for ease of use?
>
> The code I have for this seems to be from v1!
>

AFAIK you have to hack the compiled source code to add placeholder hint
today to edits and memos

Raul
Thu, Jan 16 2020 4:03 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

Raul wrote:

> placeholder

Ahah, the key word. Okay I shall have to work out how to hack it, unless EWB3 is about to hit our desks? 8-)

--

Matthew Jones
Thu, Jan 16 2020 9:47 AMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 1/16/2020 4:03 AM, Matthew Jones wrote:
>> placeholder
>
> Ahah, the key word. Okay I shall have to work out how to hack it, unless EWB3 is about to hit our desks? 8-)
>

I'm hoping we're really close now for EWB3 beta  🤞

Raul
Mon, Jan 20 2020 11:01 PMPermanent Link

Paul Coshott

Avatar

>>"Matthew Jones" wrote:
>>And how can I set it to "email" type input so that iPhones etc use the email keyboard for ease of use?

Hi Matthew,

As far as the input type goes, you can set the InputType property of the edit box to tiEmail.

Cheers,
Paul
Tue, Jan 21 2020 5:02 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

Paul Coshott wrote:

> As far as the input type goes, you can set the InputType property of the edit box to tiEmail.

Thanks - I must have known that existed as I check and see an old app has it. Thanks for reminding me.

--

Matthew Jones
Sat, Mar 14 2020 7:45 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

Okay, horrible hacks 'r' us. I hope Tim exposes this properly in EWB3 soon, but in the meantime you can "easily" get Placeholders by copying webedits to your own customised interface folder, then adding one line, as here:

function TEdit.GetInputElement: TInputElement;
begin
  FInputElement.Placeholder := Hint; // add this
  Result:=FInputElement;
end;

It applies the Hint to the placeholder, which I think makes sense anyway.

--

Matthew Jones
Image