Icon View Thread

The following is the text of the current message along with any replies.
Messages 1 to 10 of 11 total
Thread File Manager Error - Access Denied for a Temp File
Fri, Jan 29 2021 5:25 PMPermanent Link

Richard Harding

Wise Nutrition Coaching

I have EDB 2.28 and downloaded EWB3.

I can no longer access remote sessions, receiving messages such as:
* 1100 - Connection could not be established
* 10054 - Existing connection forcibly closed

I have tried the usual solutions.
* turn off firewall
* turn of virus scanners
* turn of proxy server
* check permissions on relevant folders

I am not too concerned about the above - I usually work it out eventually, although if there are other suggestions I would love to know.

Changed the session type from Remote to Local for an existing EWB3 app - one that I have been testing with the EWB3 Beta.

I received an error message:

Dataset load response error (ElevateDB Error #600 File manager error (Cannot create file WCK?ES_StockDB35.EDBTbl(OS Error: Access is denied))

I am guessing that the temp files are now stored in C:\Users\rhard\AppData\Local\Temp\. Is this correct? Is there a way of changing it? The permissions on this folder seem OK.

Richard
Sat, Jan 30 2021 1:48 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 1/29/2021 5:25 PM, Richard Harding wrote:
> I have EDB 2.28 and downloaded EWB3.

These in general should have no interdependence.

EWB3 does embed EDB engine so if you use your your existing EBD server
or local config/data as databases then i would check configs.

I took a quick look and nothing obvious stands out as breaking changes
between 2.28 and 2.33 (which i assume is embedded in EWB3) - there are
some but outside StandardNullBehavior everything else is unlikely to
apply for this sceanrio.


> I can no longer access remote sessions, receiving messages such as:
> * 1100 - Connection could not be established
> * 10054 - Existing connection forcibly closed


I would also check to make sure you're pointing to right config and
things like CharacterSet and such are configured to match what you have
in EDB.


> Changed the session type from Remote to Local for an existing EWB3 app - one that I have been testing with the EWB3 Beta.
>
> I received an error message:
>
> Dataset load response error (ElevateDB Error #600 File manager error (Cannot create file WCK?ES_StockDB35.EDBTbl(OS Error: Access is denied))
>
> I am guessing that the temp files are now stored in C:\Users\rhard\AppData\Local\Temp\. Is this correct? Is there a way of changing it? The permissions on this folder seem OK.

EWB database config for EDB database does allow one to specify the local
temp tables path.

Raul
Sun, Jan 31 2021 4:33 AMPermanent Link

Richard Harding

Wise Nutrition Coaching

Thank you Raul. The local temp tables path was blank. I set it to  C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\ and it is now working OK.

The message "Dataset load response error (ElevateDB Error #600 File manager error (Cannot create file WCK?ES_StockDB35.EDBTbl(OS Error: Access is denied))" is somewhat misleading.

Richard
Sun, Jan 31 2021 4:37 AMPermanent Link

Richard Harding

Wise Nutrition Coaching

> I can no longer access remote sessions, receiving messages such as:
> * 1100 - Connection could not be established
> * 10054 - Existing connection forcibly closed


<<I would also check to make sure you're pointing to right config and things like CharacterSet and such are configured to match what you have in EDB.>>

Thank you Raul. These other attributes are all matching.

Richard
Sun, Jan 31 2021 12:56 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 1/31/2021 4:33 AM, Richard Harding wrote:
> Thank you Raul. The local temp tables path was blank. I set it to  C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\ and it is now working OK.

Great!

I kind of think this might be a bug !?

I would expect a blank path to be defaulted by EDB engine to something
suitable - local app data type folder location.


> The message "Dataset load response error (ElevateDB Error #600 File manager error (Cannot create file WCK?ES_StockDB35.EDBTbl(OS Error: Access is denied))" is somewhat misleading.

It's bit weird also as it has "?" in there which is not an allowed in
filename ("WCK?ES_StockDB35.EDBTbl").

Either way i assume at that point in DB/Table opening process this is
only data available so error is correct in the context.

Raul
Mon, Feb 1 2021 6:47 PMPermanent Link

Richard Harding

Wise Nutrition Coaching

Raul

The question mark was a way of saying lots and lots of numbers. EDB is creating a temp table which is stored in the temp folder.

The actual message is "Dataset load response error (ElevateDB Error #600 File manager error (Cannot create file WCK618018260579875ES_StockDB35.EDBTbl(OS Error: Access is denied))"

So, I still think the message is misleading.

As you wrote "I kind of think this might be a bug !? I would expect a blank path to be defaulted by EDB engine to something suitable - local app data type folder location."

If a folder is name is missing or the folder name is non-existent then it is not the same as "Access is denied". Well, it confused me. I was looking for an existing folder that I did not have permissions to write to.

Richard
Mon, Feb 1 2021 8:55 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 2/1/2021 6:47 PM, Richard Harding wrote:
> The actual message is "Dataset load response error (ElevateDB Error #600 File manager error (Cannot create file WCK618018260579875ES_StockDB35.EDBTbl(OS Error: Access is denied))"

All OK then - that looks like a legit filename.

> As you wrote "I kind of think this might be a bug !? I would expect a blank path to be defaulted by EDB engine to something suitable - local app data type folder location."

My possible reference was simply to the fact that if temp path is blank
i would expect EDB to use a default path.

If something is entered then it should use it and if it's not writable
then fail with an error.


> If a folder is name is missing or the folder name is non-existent then it is not the same as "Access is denied". Well, it confused me. I was looking for an existing folder that I did not have permissions to write to.

I assume this was the case here - EDB was defaulting to exe folder which
is read-only i assume.

Raul
Tue, Feb 2 2021 12:10 PMPermanent Link

Tim Young [Elevate Software]

Elevate Software, Inc.

Avatar

Email timyoung@elevatesoft.com

Richard,

<< I can no longer access remote sessions, receiving messages such as:
* 1100 - Connection could not be established
* 10054 - Existing connection forcibly closed >>

Check your database connection settings and make sure that you can successfully test the database connection in the EWB 3 IDE.

<< Changed the session type from Remote to Local for an existing EWB3 app - one that I have been testing with the EWB3 Beta.

I received an error message:

Dataset load response error (ElevateDB Error #600 File manager error (Cannot create file WCK?ES_StockDB35.EDBTbl(OS Error: Access is denied)) >>

Make sure that you set the LocalTempTablesPath property setting for the database in the Server Manager in the IDE.  By default, it's blank.  Database settings are handled remotely now, so there are certain settings that EWB doesn't auto-populate anymore.

Tim Young
Elevate Software
www.elevatesoft.com
Wed, Feb 3 2021 5:15 AMPermanent Link

Richard Harding

Wise Nutrition Coaching

Tim

<<Make sure that you set the LocalTempTablesPath property setting for the database in the Server Manager in the IDE.  By default, it's blank.>>

If LocalTempTablesPath property is blank, should the error message state something like "LocalTempTablesPath cannot be blank" instead of a message stating "Access is denied".

If a non-existent path is entered, the following message is displayed.
"Dataset load response error (ElevateDB Error #401 The path specified for the store _Temp_Files does not exist (C:\Users\rhard\AppData\Local\Temp3\)"
which clearly indicates the error.

Richard
Thu, Feb 11 2021 10:29 AMPermanent Link

Tim Young [Elevate Software]

Elevate Software, Inc.

Avatar

Email timyoung@elevatesoft.com

Richard,

<< If LocalTempTablesPath property is blank, should the error message state something like "LocalTempTablesPath cannot be blank" instead of a message stating "Access is denied". >>

This is an EDB issue, but I'll see about adding an error message for this condition when an EDB session is started.

Tim Young
Elevate Software
www.elevatesoft.com
Page 1 of 2Next Page
Jump to Page:  1 2
Image