Icon View Thread

The following is the text of the current message along with any replies.
Messages 1 to 10 of 11 total
Thread TPanel suggestion
Sat, May 11 2013 3:42 PMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

I was just reading https://medium.com/thoughts-and-words/5ccef7b3e1fc about
flat interfaces etc, and it struck me that the panel top with the
"hamburger" on the left and other option on the right would be a nice
addition to the TPanel in EWB. Right now there is the close button, but
that could easily be generalised and an additional one or two buttons (and
positions) added. The actual icon could be done per TPanel, to allow the
hamburger menu, or a "back" button, or whatever anyone wants.

Just a thought...

--
Matthew Jones
Sun, May 12 2013 3:46 AMPermanent Link

Roy Lambert

NLH Associates

Team Elevate Team Elevate


I think I'm now old enough to have lived through an almost complete cycle of UI styling.

Sun, May 12 2013 5:41 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

Roy Lambert <roy@lybster.me.uk> wrote:
> I think I'm now old enough to have lived through an almost complete cycle of UI styling.

Hmm, you may be right. Windows 1 was very "flat". Has it been done again
since? I remember learning the term "bas-relief" soon after. But we didn't
have hamburgers in the interface, only in the memory manager,

--
Matthew Jones
Sun, May 12 2013 9:16 AMPermanent Link

Roy Lambert

NLH Associates

Team Elevate Team Elevate

Matthew

>> I think I'm now old enough to have lived through an almost complete cycle of UI styling.
>
>Hmm, you may be right. Windows 1 was very "flat". Has it been done again
>since? I remember learning the term "bas-relief" soon after. But we didn't
>have hamburgers in the interface, only in the memory manager,

McDs?

Sun, May 12 2013 12:32 PMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

Roy Lambert <roy@lybster.me.uk> wrote:
> Matthew
>
>>> I think I'm now old enough to have lived through an almost complete cycle of UI styling.
>>
>> Hmm, you may be right. Windows 1 was very "flat". Has it been done again
>> since? I remember learning the term "bas-relief" soon after. But we didn't
>> have hamburgers in the interface, only in the memory manager,
>
> McDs?

The Windows memory manager was called "BurgerMeister" if I recall correctly
because they designed it in the local burger restaurant of that name. In
those days we had books describing such details.

--
Matthew Jones
Sun, May 12 2013 1:24 PMPermanent Link

Roy Lambert

NLH Associates

Team Elevate Team Elevate

Matthew

>The Windows memory manager was called "BurgerMeister" if I recall correctly
>because they designed it in the local burger restaurant of that name. In
>those days we had books describing such details.

If BurgerMeister is in the US then they might have ham in their burgers, over here, of course, it would be horse!

My favourite name for a McD was "dried horses nose burger" - can't remember where I read it but it was years ago so whoever did it must have had a crystal ball.

Roy
Mon, May 13 2013 8:39 AMPermanent Link

Mark Brooks

Slikware

Avatar

Interestingly, I have a request in to Tim for a very similar (if not identical) feature. Certainly the TPanel is very cool but the Caption Bar is underused. Even an icon with an attached dropdown menu would be awesome. I have a special birthday on the horizon and am hoping that Tim will make my day .......
Mon, May 13 2013 9:26 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

> Interestingly, I have a request in to Tim for a very similar (if
> not identical) feature. Certainly the TPanel is very cool but the
> Caption Bar is underused. Even an icon with an attached dropdown
> menu would be awesome.

The drop down menu can be done "ourselves" - the key is to have the option for
added buttons and their positions. With support for detection of course...

/Matthew Jones/
Tue, May 14 2013 12:18 PMPermanent Link

Tim Young [Elevate Software]

Elevate Software, Inc.

Avatar

Email timyoung@elevatesoft.com

Mark,

<< Interestingly, I have a request in to Tim for a very similar (if not
identical) feature. Certainly the TPanel is very cool but the Caption Bar is
underused. Even an icon with an attached dropdown menu would be awesome. I
have a special birthday on the horizon and am hoping that Tim will make my
day ....... >>

The 1.02 improvements to the panel include:

1) Caption text alignment setting (left, center, right).
2) OnResize, OnClose, and OnCloseQuery events
3) Docking (docking is available everywhere in 1.02).

More icons, etc. will be coming, but only after the theme changes for 2.0
when I can add icon library options to the the themes.  After that, you'll
just be able to set the icons to whatever you want.

Tim Young
Elevate Software
www.elevatesoft.com
Wed, May 15 2013 10:36 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

> add icon library options to the the themes.

That seems a sensible idea.

>  After that, you'll
> just be able to set the icons to whatever you want.

The key though is that you could have actual buttons, with "OnClick" responses. You
probably realise this, but worth making sure.

/Matthew Jones/
Page 1 of 2Next Page
Jump to Page:  1 2
Image