Icon View Thread

The following is the text of the current message along with any replies.
Messages 1 to 10 of 14 total
Thread How to highlight selected row in grid?
Wed, Oct 1 2014 3:47 PMPermanent Link

TD

Advanced Data Systems, Inc.

Hi everyone, I am new to EWB.  I have managed to install the ODBC drivers for Firebird 2.1 and I have a dataset created that shows the actual data in the database table under the preview tab.  I have a form with a grid and a TEdit component which is bound to the same dataset as the grid.  The only way I know visually which row is selected iin the grid is by watching the TEdit to see if the data changes in it at runtime.  Surely there is a way to show the selected row highlighted, I just don't know how to enable it.

Thanks,
TD
Thu, Oct 2 2014 4:51 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

TD wrote:

> ... Surely there is a way to show the selected
> row highlighted, I just don't know how to enable it.

I don't use the native grids, but given there is an
"AlwaysShowSelection" property, I figure there must be an indicator. A
quick look at a theme shows that there is a Disabled, Focused, Hot, and
Normal grid text value. My guess is that the Hot is what you are
wanting, or perhaps focused. In the modern theme they are variants of
white, so perhaps hard to see any change. A custom theme could make
them more obvious, if this is indeed the indicator.

--

Matthew Jones
Fri, Oct 3 2014 5:51 PMPermanent Link

TD

Advanced Data Systems, Inc.

"Matthew Jones" wrote:

"AlwaysShowSelection" property, I figure there must be an indicator. A
quick look at a theme shows that there is a Disabled, Focused, Hot, and
Normal grid text value. My guess is that the Hot is what you are
wanting, or perhaps focused. In the modern theme they are variants of
white, so perhaps hard to see any change. A custom theme could make
them more obvious, if this is indeed the indicator.

Setting the "AlwaysShowSelection" property to true did not change anything.  I tried to change the theme but no good there either.  I am very new to EWB so I might have missed something.  Has anyone actually got the grid the show the currently selected row highlighted?  

Thanks,
TD
Fri, Oct 3 2014 6:04 PMPermanent Link

Rick

On 04/10/14 07:51, TD wrote:
> Setting the "AlwaysShowSelection" property to true did not change anything.  I tried to change the theme but no good there either.  I am very new to EWB so I might have missed something.  Has anyone actually got the grid the show the currently selected row highlighted?
>

I may be misunderstanding your requirement but doesn't setting the
grid's RowSelect property to TRUE in the object inspector give you what
you want?

--
Rick
Sat, Oct 4 2014 10:53 AMPermanent Link

TD

Advanced Data Systems, Inc.

Rick wrote:

I may be misunderstanding your requirement but doesn't setting the
grid's RowSelect property to TRUE in the object inspector give you what
you want?



What I need is when I click on any of the fields in a row in the grid that that entire row is highlighted so that the user sees which row he has selected.  Unfortunately setting the "RowSelect" property to true did not help...wish it had.

So, I am at a loss as to how to achieve this.  Does anyone else have their grid showing the clicked row as highlighted?  I noticed that any of the example projects that use a grid also do not show the selected row highlighted; maybe this is impossible to do.

Thanks to those who have tried to help and if anyone has any other ideas as to how to achieve this I would love to hear from you.
TD
Sat, Oct 4 2014 11:14 AMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 10/4/2014 10:53 AM, TD wrote:
> So, I am at a loss as to how to achieve this.  Does anyone else have their grid showing the clicked row as highlighted?  I noticed that any of the example projects that use a grid also do not show the selected row highlighted; maybe this is impossible to do.
>
> Thanks to those who have tried to help and if anyone has any other ideas as to how to achieve this I would love to hear from you.

With this demo app i definitely see the highlighted row when slecting
the row on the right hand side grid :

http://www.elevatesoft.com:8080/masterdetail/masterdetail.html

It's a light grey selection but very visible (works on Chrome, Firefox
and IE). You also see hot-tracking when hovering with the mouse
(basically seeing 2 highlighted rows - original and one under the cursor
than changes as i move the mouse)

Raul
Sat, Oct 4 2014 12:30 PMPermanent Link

TD

Advanced Data Systems, Inc.

With this demo app i definitely see the highlighted row when slecting
the row on the right hand side grid :

http://www.elevatesoft.com:8080/masterdetail/masterdetail.html


Thanks for helping.  I tried this app in Google Chrome, version 37.0.2062.124 m, Firefox version 32.0.3 and IE 8. None of them show any of the behavior you see.  I am running Windows XP SP3, using a Dell Ultrasharp monitor set at 32bit color and I don't see these behaviors at all.  Any ideas why I can't see them?

Thanks,
TD
Sat, Oct 4 2014 1:11 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 10/4/2014 12:30 PM, TD wrote:
> Thanks for helping.  I tried this app in Google Chrome, version 37.0.2062.124 m, Firefox version 32.0.3 and IE 8. None of them show any of the behavior you see.  I am running Windows XP SP3, using a Dell Ultrasharp monitor set at 32bit color and I don't see these behaviors at all.  Any ideas why I can't see them?

I originally tried on Win8.1 (32bit color as well and using older dell
ultrasharp monitor).

Only XP I have is a VM so tried that now with Chrome (XP SP3, same
Chrome version) and i'm seeing the selection there also.

Here a link to select screenshot : http://we.tl/N2UBASMfUj

(this just to ensure we're on the same page on what it does look like).


Since the browser and os are the similar/same i'd suspect video drivers
at this point. Why just this type of thing is obviously weird.

My other suspicion would have been a browser plugin but since you tried
3 different browsers that's unlikely to be the case.

Any chance you can try this on a different device - for example on ipad
mini i'm also seeing the selection OK when clicking on grid

Raul
Sat, Oct 4 2014 7:20 PMPermanent Link

TD

Advanced Data Systems, Inc.

Raul, thank you for taking your time to help with this!

I downloaded the screen capture and still couldn't see the highlighted row.  Then I looked at the app at the elevate software website using my friend's laptop and if I set the angle of the laptop screen just right I can see the VERY slight difference in color of the selected row.  So it appears the color used to indicate the selected row is so close to the color of an unselected row I can't see the difference on my monitor.  I need to change this color to something like green or blue so I can see it for sure.  Do you have any idea where I can change this?

TD
Sun, Oct 5 2014 4:56 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

TD wrote:

>  Do you have any idea where I can change this?

In the theme.

This sort of highlight issue is common on some LCD panels - it is very
easy to set the brightness and colour to something nice and bright, but
which then loses the subtle colouring. Changing your theme to have a
different more intense colour will help, but of course you will also
have to take into account how others will see it when not using the
adjustments of your monitor.

--

Matthew Jones
Page 1 of 2Next Page
Jump to Page:  1 2
Image