Icon View Thread

The following is the text of the current message along with any replies.
Messages 1 to 4 of 4 total
Thread EWB Locking Source File?
Sat, Oct 10 2015 11:24 AMPermanent Link

Frederick Chin

With a WBS file loaded within EWB, I tried to edit and save the file externally with Notepad.

However, Notepad complains that it could not create the WBS file.

Is EWB locking the source file?

How would the "Prompt to reload external modifications" in the Environment Options For Editor work in this case?

Frederick
Sat, Oct 10 2015 11:45 AMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 10/10/2015 11:24 AM, Frederick Chin wrote:
> With a WBS file loaded within EWB, I tried to edit and save the file externally with Notepad.
> However, Notepad complains that it could not create the WBS file.
> Is EWB locking the source file?

This appears to be a notepad limitation.

I use a 3rd party editor and can edit wbs file open in EWB just fine in
an external editor and when i return to EWB it prompts with the "The
<unit name> unit has been modified outside of the IDE. Would you like to
reload the unit source code into the editor ?" and picks up changes just
fine.

In general i suggest don't change EWB files outside while open in IDE.

> How would the "Prompt to reload external modifications" in the Environment Options For Editor work in this case?

if checked it will prompt on whether you want to apply changes (as
above) - if unchecked it will reload file without prompting.

I recommend leaving it checked - otherwise any unsaved changes in EWB
will be lost (also will be lost is you say yes to reload but then at
least you got a prompt)

Raul
Sat, Oct 10 2015 11:30 PMPermanent Link

Frederick Chin

Raul,

/*
This appears to be a notepad limitation.

I use a 3rd party editor and can edit wbs file open in EWB just fine in
an external editor and when i return to EWB it prompts with the "The
<unit name> unit has been modified outside of the IDE. Would you like to
reload the unit source code into the editor ?" and picks up changes just
fine.
*/

I would have thought so to but when I tried the same procedure with Delphi 5 and 7, Notepad does not complain about not being able to save the file and Delphi (both versions) correctly prompts me that the file has been changed and should the file be reloaded.

I believe that this how EWB should also handle changed files from external editors.

/*
In general i suggest don't change EWB files outside while open in IDE.
*/

Wouldn't this render the option "Prompt to reload external modifications" in the Environment Options For Editor redundant?

Frederick
Mon, Oct 12 2015 11:38 AMPermanent Link

Tim Young [Elevate Software]

Elevate Software, Inc.

Avatar

Email timyoung@elevatesoft.com

Frederick,

<< I would have thought so to but when I tried the same procedure with Delphi 5 and 7, Notepad does not complain about not being able to save the file and Delphi (both versions) correctly prompts me that the file has been changed and should the file be reloaded. >>

This is because Delphi probably closes the files when it isn't reading/writing them.

<< I believe that this how EWB should also handle changed files from external editors. >>

EWB's IDE opens up all source files as read-write/deny-none and keeps them open until you close them.  That should be good enough for most purposes, and keeping the files open is a legitimate action for EWB to take, considering that they're *EWB source files currently loaded in the IDE*.

Tim Young
Elevate Software
www.elevatesoft.com
Image