Icon View Thread

The following is the text of the current message along with any replies.
Messages 1 to 10 of 20 total
Thread Issue with 4.46 and on
Thu, Jan 24 2019 4:03 PMPermanent Link

David

Hi Tim/All.

I have just downloaded 4.47 and I tried to use an existing application compiled in 4.25 (I know its old) and I thought it would work as its C/S and so the server deals with everything.  However on some tables due to attempting to be GDPR compliant, I have them encrypted and setup an OnPassword event to deal with this and all has been working fine for some time.  That was until I tried 4.47 and as soon as I try that, I get an 10498 Insufficient rights error.

On checking with DBSys it opens fine on entering of the password so something has changed recently and the OnPassword event is not succeding.  I tried to back track and 4.46 also has the same problem, but there is no issue when tried 4.45 and although I haven't tried, I assume earlier versions.

I am running Windows 10  build 1809 if that makes any odds.

Not sure if this is related to the recent breaking change for Large File support as I dont see the link but as this is an already compiled application I have not changed that.  I was only playing around with things to see how they panned out when I came across this.

Any idea?
Sun, Jan 27 2019 11:34 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 1/24/2019 4:03 PM, David wrote:
> I have just downloaded 4.47 and I tried to use an existing application compiled in 4.25 (I know its old) and I thought it would work as its C/S and so the server deals with everything.  However on some tables due to attempting to be GDPR compliant, I have them encrypted and setup an OnPassword event to deal with this and all has been working fine for some time.  That was until I tried 4.47 and as soon as I try that, I get an 10498 Insufficient rights error.
>
> On checking with DBSys it opens fine on entering of the password so something has changed recently and the OnPassword event is not succeding.  I tried to back track and 4.46 also has the same problem, but there is no issue when tried 4.45 and although I haven't tried, I assume earlier versions.
>
> I am running Windows 10  build 1809 if that makes any odds.
>
> Not sure if this is related to the recent breaking change for Large File support as I dont see the link but as this is an already compiled application I have not changed that.  I was only playing around with things to see how they panned out when I came across this.
>
> Any idea?
>

David,

I do use some encrypted table and have not seen this with our app.

On DBISAM 4.47 Build 1 and Windows 10 1809 as well

Tried it also with a small test app and works fine for me - remote as
well as local session both open encrypted table just fine (and trigger
OnPassword event properly so one can add password).


Can you provide some more info on setup or do a small test app to
duplicate the issue ?

Can you open non-encrypted tables OK ?

Note that 4.46 and 4.47 did not introduce any breaking changes.
4.45 did but only one i can think of based on your error is the
PrivateDir setting  - any chance it's pointing to a folder you have no
write permissions on (either on server or app)

Raul
Mon, Jan 28 2019 10:20 AMPermanent Link

David

Hi Raul.

Interesting, I thought I had found a slight bug but looks like probably something else then to do with my system.

The Server is a stock server run as Administrator so should have the right permissions.  I am running this on my home laptop which also has Norton on it so it might be related to that, what I don't understand is why does 4.45 and before work without error then?

If I decrypt the table I can use my app without problems, however when encrypted it throws this error and then kicks me out of the app, as designed.  If I leave it encrypted but use an 4.45 instead it works flawlessly.  The App was compiled in Delphi 2007 so before Unicode but I don't think it is that.

I will play around with it some more to see if I can figure it out then.

Thanks.
David.

Raul wrote:


David,

I do use some encrypted table and have not seen this with our app.

On DBISAM 4.47 Build 1 and Windows 10 1809 as well

Tried it also with a small test app and works fine for me - remote as
well as local session both open encrypted table just fine (and trigger
OnPassword event properly so one can add password).


Can you provide some more info on setup or do a small test app to
duplicate the issue ?

Can you open non-encrypted tables OK ?

Note that 4.46 and 4.47 did not introduce any breaking changes.
4.45 did but only one i can think of based on your error is the
PrivateDir setting  - any chance it's pointing to a folder you have no
write permissions on (either on server or app)

Raul
Mon, Jan 28 2019 5:13 PMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

On 1/28/2019 10:20 AM, David wrote:
>
> Interesting, I thought I had found a slight bug but looks like probably something else then to do with my system.
>
> The Server is a stock server run as Administrator so should have the right permissions.  I am running this on my home laptop which also has Norton on it so it might be related to that, what I don't understand is why does 4.45 and before work without error then?
>
> If I decrypt the table I can use my app without problems, however when encrypted it throws this error and then kicks me out of the app, as designed.  If I leave it encrypted but use an 4.45 instead it works flawlessly.  The App was compiled in Delphi 2007 so before Unicode but I don't think it is that.
>
> I will play around with it some more to see if I can figure it out then.
>

I suggest do an absolute minimum delphi app (i.e. one with 1 session, 1
database and 1 table) and see if you can dupe the problem.

Raul
Tue, Jan 29 2019 4:59 AMPermanent Link

David

Interesting.  I had a play around last night after spending some time trying to get a VM up on my home laptop as it doesn't have Delphi 2007 on it and when I finally got it working it exhibited the exact same issue and for some reason or other the OnPassword event was not firing.

I tried a couple of other smaller apps and they seem to work fine so that problem does appear to be with my application, not across the board at all.   What I did was put an AddPassword in on form create and my app worked fine from there so I need to track down what it is in my app that is stopping the OnPassword event from firing.

I then created a smaller app just with 1 table, DB and sessions and that worked fine.  I need to do some more testing but it does seem like this effect is only exhibited if using 4.46 and above, 4.45 and below don't seem to have the issue but as I said I need to do more testing tonight to confirm this as I ran out of time last night.

Regards
David.
Raul wrote:

I suggest do an absolute minimum delphi app (i.e. one with 1 session, 1
database and 1 table) and see if you can dupe the problem.

Raul
Tue, Jan 29 2019 8:45 AMPermanent Link

Raul

Globestar Systems

Team Elevate Team Elevate

<<
David wrote:

Interesting.  I had a play around last night after spending some time trying to get a VM up on my home laptop as it doesn't have Delphi 2007 on it and when I finally got it working it exhibited the exact same issue and for some reason or other the OnPassword event was not firing.

I tried a couple of other smaller apps and they seem to work fine so that problem does appear to be with my application, not across the board at all.   What I did was put an AddPassword in on form create and my app worked fine from there so I need to track down what it is in my app that is stopping the OnPassword event from firing.

I then created a smaller app just with 1 table, DB and sessions and that worked fine.  I need to do some more testing but it does seem like this effect is only exhibited if using 4.46 and above, 4.45 and below don't seem to have the issue but as I said I need to do more testing tonight to confirm this as I ran out of time last night.

>>

Thanks for the update - that is definitely curious.

Almost looks like the event if not hooked up - why you only see it with 4.46 or newer is weird.  I checked the release notes one more time and there is nothing obvious in 4.46 or 4.47 that would account for this.

How are you assigning the OnPassword event - in Delphi IDE or in code ?

if you have not done so yet i would suggest removing and re-adding the event handler as well as checking if it's assigned right before attempting table open (if you can easily).

Raul
Tue, Jan 29 2019 10:35 AMPermanent Link

Tim Young [Elevate Software]

Elevate Software, Inc.

Avatar

Email timyoung@elevatesoft.com

David,

<< Interesting.  I had a play around last night after spending some time trying to get a VM up on my home laptop as it doesn't have Delphi 2007 on it and when I finally got it working it exhibited the exact same issue and for some reason or other the OnPassword event was not firing.  >>

The event isn't firing, or the dialog isn't getting shown ?  Per the manual, you need to include a special unit in order to have the default dialog be shown:

https://www.elevatesoft.com/manual?action=viewevent&id=dbisam4&product=rsdelphiwin32&version=10R&comp=TDBISAMSession&event=OnPassword

Tim Young
Elevate Software
www.elevatesoft.com
Tue, Jan 29 2019 10:36 AMPermanent Link

Tim Young [Elevate Software]

Elevate Software, Inc.

Avatar

Email timyoung@elevatesoft.com

David,

<< Interesting.  I had a play around last night after spending some time trying to get a VM up on my home laptop as it doesn't have Delphi 2007 on it and when I finally got it working it exhibited the exact same issue and for some reason or other the OnPassword event was not firing.  >>

The OnPassword event wasn't firing, or the default password dialog wasn't being displayed ?

Per the manual:

https://www.elevatesoft.com/manual?action=viewevent&id=dbisam4&product=rsdelphiwin32&version=10R&comp=TDBISAMSession&event=OnPassword

"If an OnPassword event handler is not assigned to the OnPassword event, but DBISAM needs a password in order to open an encrypted database table, a default password dialog will be displayed to the user that prompts for a password. However, any version of DBISAM for Delphi 6 or higher (including C++Builder 6 and higher as well as Kylix 2 and higher) requires that you include the DBPWDlg unit to your uses clause in order to enable the display of a default password dialog. This is done to allow for DBISAM to be included in applications without linking in the forms support, which can add a lot of unnecessary overhead and also cause unwanted references to user interface libraries. This is not required for Delphi 5 or C++Builder 5, but these versions always include forms support."

Tim Young
Elevate Software
www.elevatesoft.com
Tue, Jan 29 2019 6:00 PMPermanent Link

David

Hi Tim.  I think I have finally tracked this down and from what I am a seeing there is a difference in 4.46 and 4.47 but 4.45 works fine.

I have this below bit of code setup to populate a comobox.

 tmpQry := TDBISAMQuery.Create(self);
 TmpQry.SessionName := 'MySession;
 TmpQry.DatabaseName := 'MyDB';     <--- This line here.
 TmpQry.Active := False;

If I comment out the database name  the OnPassword event is fired when I try to open up an encrypted table after running this temporary table, but the event is not fired if it is left as it is.  I have a datamodule with the same session name and db that will be active before this query is run and the temp query just uses that session.

This has worked fine in 4.25 and even in 4.45 but not in 4.46 and 4.47 so I think something has changed that causes that.  Now i am unsure if I am setting that property incorrectly when I shouldnt be or not, but it has worked flawlesly for many years until recently.

Do you have any idea why this is the case, is it a bug that has slipped under the radar, or have I been wrong for a long time and just been lucky it hasn't apparently at least caused any issues?

Regards
David.

Tim Young [Elevate Software] wrote:


The event isn't firing, or the dialog isn't getting shown ?  Per the manual, you need to include a special unit in order to have the default dialog be shown:

https://www.elevatesoft.com/manual?action=viewevent&id=dbisam4&product=rsdelphiwin32&version=10R&comp=TDBISAMSession&event=OnPassword

Tim Young
Elevate Software
www.elevatesoft.com
Tue, Jan 29 2019 6:16 PMPermanent Link

David

Hi Tim.

I should point out that the client was compiled using 4.25 but is C/S so it should be using the server which is 4.46 and 4.47 when the issue arises.

David.
Page 1 of 2Next Page
Jump to Page:  1 2
Image