Icon View Thread

The following is the text of the current message along with any replies.
Messages 11 to 20 of 23 total
Thread new book on Elevate Web Builder
Tue, Jul 19 2016 8:21 AMPermanent Link

Walter Matte

Tactical Business Corporation

I choose the $7 shipping option to Canada too and it will be here in 8 days - received my confirmation from Amazon.  

I could have paid a lot more to have it in 2 days.  But I am happy to wait.

Walter
Tue, Jul 19 2016 8:38 AMPermanent Link

Trinione


<< I've spent twenty five years playing whack-a-mole with illegal copies and for some time it turned me off sharing.  Rather than face that frustration again, I've tried to make a decent index and offer my apologies for this rigidity.  >>

Is a Kindle version available? Shipping to the most non US/Canada countries is gonna be whopping. Kindle is Amazon and digital download.
Tue, Jul 19 2016 10:11 AMPermanent Link

erickengelke

Avatar

Trinione wrote:


<< I've spent twenty five years playing whack-a-mole with illegal copies and for some time it turned me off sharing.  Rather than face that frustration again, I've tried to make a decent index and offer my apologies for this rigidity.  >>

>Is a Kindle version available? Shipping to the most non US/Canada countries is gonna be whopping.
>Kindle is Amazon and digital download.

Every tech book published in Kindle is torrent downloadable for free.  And otherwise honest people see PDF or Kindle and download it without a second thought.  I'd estimate significantly more than 10:1 have downloaded rather than bought my first book.  The market for this book is so small that I can't afford to do that or I will not recoup my investment.   It's sad, but I have to work with the tools I've got..

I bet Amazon will carry it id other countries shortly, they did that with my other two books on Amazon.

Another way to look at it is this:  A specialty book like this will often cost $80 or more.  So by only charging $50 I left leeway for shipping charges.
Tue, Jul 19 2016 11:16 AMPermanent Link

Boris B

For the record, I fully support you in your decisions to publish only the paper copy, and the price.  You're one guy, not some big publishing house.  While I too generally prefer ebooks, I certainly don't want to insist that you be cheated out of your fair reward for your hard work.

Some people might say to charge $50 (or even $75) for the ebook verson.  People tend to be less likely to "share" for free when they've paid a lot Smile
Tue, Jul 19 2016 11:37 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

Walter Matte wrote:

> I could have paid a lot more to have it in 2 days.  But I am happy to
> wait.

Well, I can confirm the book has content, looks quite sensible, and is
very warm when delivered, though the latter might be the temporary 30
degree heatwave we have at the moment and the van it came in. 8-)

For once in a little while I feel good to be in the UK, and having
Prime the next day shipping cost me nothing extra.

--

Matthew Jones
Tue, Jul 19 2016 6:46 PMPermanent Link

erickengelke

Avatar

"Matthew Jones" wrote:

Walter Matte wrote:

> I could have paid a lot more to have it in 2 days.  But I am happy to
> wait.

>Well, I can confirm the book has content, looks quite sensible,

I hope you like it.  Do Email me with suggestions or questions.

I think understanding the JavaScript interfacing chapter is important because so much depends on it.  Once you know that, you can call other libraries with ease.

I don't know that Tim is a big proponent of interfacing with other libraries, but you will see all sorts of new opportunities to use Google charts, OAuth2, Cordova/PhoneGap, etc.  It really broadens the scope of  EWB.

> and is
>very warm when delivered, though the latter might be the temporary 30
>degree heatwave we have at the moment and the van it came in. 8-)

Those are warm thoughts coming from Canada where it's been a hot summer so far, though nicely only 24C today.

> For once in a little while I feel good to be in the UK, and having
> Prime the next day shipping cost me nothing extra.

For shipped earlier works I shipped from Canada to the world, and shipping to Australia was $78 or $15 more than the actual product we were shipping.

Erick
Thu, Jul 21 2016 10:26 AMPermanent Link

Walter Matte

Tactical Business Corporation

Excellent - book arrived today - several days early and with a RUSH sticker on the envelope - placed over the original address label.... I wonder how that happened.

Thank you Erick for writing the book (and Tim for EWB!)
Thu, Jul 21 2016 3:33 PMPermanent Link

erickengelke

Avatar

Walter Matte wrote:
>Excellent - book arrived today - several days early and with a RUSH sticker on the envelope - placed over the >original address label.... I wonder how that happened.

I have no control over the RUSH sticker.

> Thank you Erick for writing the book (and Tim for EWB!)

Thanks. I hope you enjoy it.  And yes, thanks Tim for EWB and for all your encouragement.

Erick
Thu, Jul 21 2016 4:25 PMPermanent Link

Mike

Just ordered it and hope to receive it soon Smile
Fri, Jul 22 2016 4:35 AMPermanent Link

Matthew Jones

erickengelke wrote:

> I wrote the book I wished I had when I started using Elevate Web
> Builder (EWB)

I think that this has been achieved, FWIW. There is a lot of good
information that is identified and listed without going into lengthy
over-description. It is covering the things that people need to know to
get started. I'm at the javascript link part and awaiting a moment to
read it, as that is new to me. Having used EWB since the start, other
parts are already familiar, but that fits with the premise of the book.

Anyone new to WebBuilder would do well to buy the book. Perhaps wait
for the second edition though, unless you are particularly keen to get
started. If there is one thing I'd add to the book it would be the JSON
serialisation, and how to serialise arrays. The info is all in these
forums, but a chapter putting it together would be handy. (Happy to
help proof read that!).

--

Matthew Jones
Previous PagePage 2 of 3Next Page
Jump to Page:  1 2 3
Image